by Marty Dodson
Apr 15, 2015
Producer Larry Beaird did an amazing job with a private webinar for our SongTown Diamond Members. In the webinar, he revealed 11 Lessons From Thirteen #1 Country Songs – 2014. Here are some of the findings based on his research.
1) How many words were in the longest title? 5
2) How many #1 songs had one word titles? 3
3) How many times on average did the title appear in each chorus of the song? 2.5
4) How long did it take to get to the chorus in the fastest song to get there? 27 seconds
5) What was the highest note a male artist hit in a #1 song last year? G#
6) What did most of the songs that stayed at #1 for more than 5 weeks have in common? Each line in the chorus rhymed with the hook.
7) What was the shortest chorus? 20 seconds (Drink A Beer)
8) How long was the LONGEST time you had to wait for the chorus in any of the #1 songs? 48 seconds
9) What was the most times a hook appeared in a chorus? 6 in “Play It Again”
10) What was the shortest #1 song? 2:49
11) What was the fewest number of notes used in one of our #1 songs? 4 in “Beachin”
Write On! ~Marty Dodson
Write Better Songs Faster
Songwriting Success is Clay & Marty's 10-day video series that will help you level-up your songs and finish them faster. Enter your email address to get started!