by Clay Mills
Feb 22, 2017
1) Marty Dodson and Clay Mills wrote together years ago, but were not frequent collaborators when they started Songtown. Now, they talk multiple times a day. Every day.
2) The big question Marty and Clay wrestled with before starting Songtown was “Will people stick around if we tell them the truth?” They saw multiple Songwriting sites that promised to “help you breathe the rarified air of hit mountain”, to “get your songs in front of Nashville producers” or other glorified claims. They wondered if people just wanted to be pumped up and patted on the back or if they would really respond to being the truth even if that was “Your song isn’t very good, but here’s how you can make it better.” They’ve been pleasantly surprised.
3) One of the big goals for Songtown is to help people connect. Marty and Clay are continually working to find new ways to help people connect with other creative people and to find collaborators to write with.
4) The “Songtown Studio” where all of our webinars are filmed is really Clay’s music studio in his house. There are, at most, 5 chairs in the tiny room – including the two for the people on camera. When they talk about their “studio” audience, there are usually 5-6 people sitting around on those other 3 chairs and some amps.
5) Jonathan Helfand’s phone has gone off at least twice during live webinars.
Write On! ~Marty
Write Better Songs Faster
Songwriting Success is Clay & Marty's 10-day video series that will help you level-up your songs and finish them faster. Enter your email address to get started!