by Clay Mills
Jul 31, 2016
What Does Creative Flow Feel Like?
1. You feel completely focused. So much so that you forget your personal needs. You may even forget to eat for hours while you are working!
2. You have a clear vision of what your art should sound or look like while working on it.
3. You are certain the task at hand is attainable. You find that perfect balance of your current skill level and the challenge that is in from of you
4. You feel an energizing power that seems to come from outside of you. Even if you were tired and brain dead before beginning, the work revitalizes you and gives you energy you didn’t know you had.
5. You lose yourself in completely in your work and feel totally at peace.
5 Steps For Enhancing Your Creative Flow
1. Follow your passions. Choose to do something that interest you. Curiosity and discovery fuel great art and enhance your flow.
2. Find a quiet, distraction-free environment to work in. Turn off your cell phone and unplug! Find a room where you won’t be disturbed. Nothing breaks up your creative flow like interruptions and distractions. Once your flow gets going you need to ride it for all it’s worth. It’s a precious thing, give it the respect it deserves.
3. Learn to stretch your skills a little. Finding that perfect balance between comfort and challenge is crucial to your flow. You never won’t to stray so far from your comfort zone that you can’t do the job at hand, but you want to challenge yourself enough to spark new discovery. That spark can set the Creative Flow in motion for hours
4. Creating on a regular schedule. Setting a regular time to write each day trains your sub-conscience to be ready to create. It knows that each day you have set aside the time to work on your art and it will deliver more often with a little practice.
5. Focus on the process and not the outcome. Finding your Creative Flow is a process and doesn’t happen overnight. It will take a little practice, so be patient with yourself and your talent. Good things will come with persistent application of the process.
Write On! ~Clay
Write Better Songs Faster
Songwriting Success is Clay & Marty's 10-day video series that will help you level-up your songs and finish them faster. Enter your email address to get started!